Opened: 1937
Architects: Kaberry and Chard
Capacity: 996 seats
Address: 166d Glebe Point Road Glebe NSW
home
Original Australian Production
Subsequent Australian Productions
Motion Picture Connections
Recordings
Contact

 

Originally opening at the height of Art Deco archictecture in 1937 the theatre was called the Astor, it closed in the 1950's when TV took precedence over cinema for a time and unfortunately was converted into a storehouse. It was cleaned up and re-opened in 1968 for the screening of foreign films. In 1970 it was given a new name, The Filmor and returned to playing English language films. In 1972 it was leased by Eric Dare (entrepeneur and producer, who later produced Reg Livermore's one-man shows) re-named the New Arts Cinema it was rented by him to Harry M. Miller for the run of Rocky Horror. By the time Rocky Horror was mounted in 1974, the theatre was in a dreadful state of disprepair, and although this provided incredible atmosphere, it also meant  rats ran about and the walls were crumbling, but Brian Thomson's set and low lighting coverd it mostly. In 1987 it was purchased by Chris Kiely from the original family who still owned it and became the Valhalla, it was twinned in 1995 becoming a popular suburban Sydney art house cinema and occasional live venue (The Vagina Monologues played there). After 25 years as an arts theatre it finally closed it doors and was eventually gutted and turned into apartments..

 

Original signage
The Valhalla Twin
Theatre Interior
Stage
 ©2013 Mark Jabara Ellison Productions HomeOriginalSubsequentMovieRecordings Contact